Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The aftermath of a fire in your home or business in Sanibel can be very overwhelming. Since experiencing a fire damage event isn't as common as experiencing a water damage event, it can be difficult to know what steps to take next.
The safety of you and others on your property is the biggest priority. Our SERVPRO of Sanibel/Captiva Island/Ft Myers Beach team can take care of the rest. Our crew is the local fire cleanup expert in the area and we have experience, equipment, and manpower to handle the cleanup and restoration after a fire of any size.
To be better prepared in the event of a fire loss, check out our Fire Damage Tips down below!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 312-7605
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.